Habesha kemis: hunting for inspiration

25 Jan

In preparation for day 2 of my wedding festivities known as “Melse,” I have been looking for habesha kemis online. I remain largely unimpressed with what I’ve found online. Where can I buy stylish Ethiopian dresses online? I’m sure I’m not the only Mushirit out there who is asking…unfortunately I don’t have the finances to fly back to Ethiopia just to shop for dresses for me and my bridesmaids.

I was completely discouraged until one of my bridesmaids told me about a Facebook page owned by a young beautiful Ethiopian designer by the name of Senait Abraham.

I immediately requested her as a friend and I’m glad I did. Thanks to Facebook, Senait shares approximately 500 photos of gorgeous Ethiopian dress designs. I cannot believe how dedicated she is! She not only designs the outfits but she also models the clothing to market the work. You know what they say – if you want to do it right, you’ve gotta do it yourself!

She is also very approachable – just send her a Facebook message and she will reply to your questions. Better yet, call her directly! She openly provides her phone number and email address on the photos.

Here are a few photos of some of Senait’s designs that will take your breath away:

About these ads

18 Responses to “Habesha kemis: hunting for inspiration”

1. Mushira3.0 April 2, 2012 at 8:30 pm #

Check yefikir design She is a very talented designer and her dresses are modern chique. She is based in Addis, but maybe able to ship internationally. http://www.yefikirdesign.com/

Another designer is Haimanot Debouch, who is based in Washington. She did the dresses for Alem Gola’s wedding (with Oscar Joyner). http://www.blengrafix.com/haimidesign/

Thanks for you starting this blog, I was considering doing an Ethiopian wedding tumblr, but thanks to you, I can simply enjoy yours…

• mushirit April 4, 2012 at 2:58 pm #

Thanks for your comments! I have heard of Yefikir Design – The designer, Fikirte Addis has received some impressive international attention. See: http://www.fashionhungry.net/blog/designer-spotlight-fikirte-addis-wins-african-competition/2041. Thank you for sharing her website with Mushirit readers! I think it’s new because I tried looking her up a few months ago and the site wasn’t up yet. I will definitely look into featuring her designs in future blogs. I’m hoping to go back home later in the year so maybe I’ll be able to stop by her studio.

I actually tried to reach Haimi Designs by email twice without receiving a response :(

Have you purchased habesha dresses from either of these designers?

• Mushira3.0 April 4, 2012 at 9:01 pm #

I have been to her studio (located in front of Kaleb Hotel, near Edna Mall) and have ordered some dresses. She has an extraordinary talent and has won a competition, which allowed her to participate in the NY Fashion week last year. I would definetely recommend you to meet her but she needs some time to complete order, that is why plan carefully.

Please also check Serguide, which is a wedding magazine in Ethiopia. They have some more information on their website. http://www.serguide.info/service_providers_directory/traditional-dress

2. Mushira3.0 April 4, 2012 at 9:03 pm #

I was talking about Fikirte. I don’t know Haimie, just found her website. Maybe try to find a number. There is this YT video I found, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nROPmLSL3jA

• mushirit April 5, 2012 at 1:57 pm #

Wow you’re very resourceful Mushira3.0! Thanks for sharing all of this information with readers! I will definitely look into visiting Fikirte Addis next time I’m back home. Maybe I will call her before that.

By the way, when is your big day?

• Mushira3.0 April 9, 2012 at 11:52 pm #

I’m glad if I can help you or your readers with information. I really appreciate the effort you put into this blog.

My big day comes when I find the right guy :-) But I’m such a wedding fan, that I hope it won’t take that long.

3. Ethiopian Clothing July 2, 2012 at 6:09 pm #

http://www.ethiopianclothing.net is also another websites that sells Ethiopian traditional and modern clothes online. I like this website because its professional Ethiopian clothing ecommerce site. They have a lot of collections including Ethiopian wedding dresses.

• mushirit July 4, 2012 at 6:10 pm #

Selam, thank you for visiting my site! Welcome.
      I love your website!

Is Ethiopianclothing.net a new website? How can Ethiopian brides around the world feel confident that your website is safe to purchase from?

Also, how can we find more information about the owners/designers of the dresses. I’m sure Mushirit readers want to know.

• Ethiopian Clothing July 11, 2012 at 8:46 am #

Yes its new website, and its not my site i just found in it on Facebook and ordered one dress. As far as i know its safe to shop because i got my ordder. But since they are in Ethiopia they have problem to use online payment systems like Paypal the guy who manages the shop is very knowledgeable about online business and very good good customer handling and fast response for my questions you can call him or contact him on facebook.com/yitbarek1

4. Yohannes July 11, 2012 at 10:09 pm #

Mushirit thanks for this informative blog.. Yordis Culture is another emerging habesha clothing destination, mainly dresses for bridesmaids… http://yordis.com/shop/ is the address to go to :)

• mushirit July 13, 2012 at 4:04 pm #

Hi Yohannes. Thanks for visiting my site. This is my first time hearing about Yordis Culture. I took a look at the site and it is impressive. Great work! I noticed that your contact locations are based in Australia, USA, and the UK. Are dresses made in Ethiopia or elsewhere? Mushirit readers will want to know. Also, you might want to move the “About Us” section higher up on the webpage to a more visible place so that customers can learn more about the company. You should also tell customers more about the people behind the company – sharing a profile builds trust with customers. If you want to talk more, send me a message through my contact page.

All the best in your venture!

Mushirit

• Yohannes July 18, 2012 at 7:39 am #

Hey Mushirit.. Thanks for the feedback, its encouraging :) Will take the suggestions on board too.. The dresses are designed and made in Ethiopia.. we have more products coming soon and will be designed in US and Aus made in Ethiopia =) Keep checking our website http://yordis.com/shop/ also you can get updates from our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/yordisculture .. I will send you a message shortly too =)

5. Rahwa October 1, 2012 at 9:48 pm #

Please please please ladies out there planing to place order with senate Abraham STOP! Because it’s a scam. I never saw any dress after ordering two dresses and paying 400 usd. And the girl never picks up her phone. And I not only experienced this myself but heard stories from other brides as well. So be careful. Rahwa G

• sara dawit October 23, 2012 at 12:04 am #

Hey Rahwa, i have ordered for my self and other friends from senait abraham. i found her to be reliable and efficient too. Sorry to disagree with you but she is very talented and trustworthy than any other ones that i have tried so far. i would recommend her to anyone with out hesitation.

Mushira #1

• mushirit October 23, 2012 at 2:46 pm #

Hi Rahwa,

Thank you for sharing your experience with Mushirit readers. I’m really sorry that this happened to you. Have you tried following up with Senait via Facebook? If your dresses haven’t been delivered to you yet then they should really give you a refund. How did you order the dress? Was it online?

• Ruta January 11, 2013 at 10:29 am #

Hi dear, she doesnt take order online, u need to call her , which costs a fortune because there is always something wrong wit the network.I have asked for alot of options but then she said she will make me a new one, so i had to send her the incomplete dress with someone, when the person had arrived, she came up with all sorts of excuses into not seeing the person, and then when we called her, she just said straight up, I am not going to do anything for you literally.And just hanged up and never picked up her phone again.Its very sad .I feel sorry for her, how cunning she could be?and then call herself habesha.We are not brought up this way.So i guess i am one of the unlucky customers I guess.And when i did my research i found out that its not only me, but she has cunned alot of brides to be out here in Netherlands.So my advice stay away frm her…or enter at ur OWN RISK.

6. sara d October 23, 2012 at 1:17 am #

Hey Rahwa, sorry to hear you had a bad experience. on the contrary i really like senait abrahams collection and her services. she is really talented and efficient. i have ordered quite a few closes for myself and for my friends too. she sent it via DHL (ofcouse postal price was included), i received my order on time each time i ordered. i would chose her anytime and recommend her to any mushira. i tried quite a few before but i didnt like the quality of their work. sara

7. Ruta January 11, 2013 at 10:20 am #

I am also another victim of this woman called Senait Abraham or Habesha.I sent 350 euros and got an incomplete zurya, she is a disgrace and at the end she even refused to complete it for me ,,thou it was her mistake all the time, so i am left her wit nothing.Very dissappointing, she is a thief and some people just don’t know it.So pls if u have a wedding dress or whatsoever from her, make sure u have a contingency plan.Good luck.